Public library systems all around the U.S. have a lot to offer communities and local residents. Even if you haven’t heard of all the benefits that your own library has to offer, there are several fantastic reasons to support them, such as our very own Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL)!
It’s a Great Way to Give Back to Your Community
When you show support for the library, you aren’t just supporting one organization or building: you’re offering help and participating in a foundation that the community relies on.
Many residents utilize the library’s programs to continue their education after their school age years, teach children about the wildlife nearby, or to research and study for college exams. Supporting your local libraries allows them to sustain (and grow!) these community programs.
Libraries Are a Wealth of Knowledge & Entertainment
Where would many of us be without the information we find in our libraries? Truth be told, knowledge is available not only on the shelves in the library these days, but also online and in the minds of experienced librarians.
But the libraries are also a great place for entertainment, especially for children and families. Several JCPL locations have arts and crafts classes, movie times, author readings and other visits from experts nearby!
Check out their online calendar to see just how many events occur almost every day of the year!
Government Funding Isn’t Always Available
Unfortunately, many states, counties and cities have cut back on budget spending for local library systems. This means that they need extra support from individuals and groups who care about education and community resources!
Libraries Boost the Economy
That’s right: libraries can also add to the economy, since they are a resource for local individuals and businesses. But they also provide jobs to those in the public library system, and even offer a place where many people spend time applying for jobs!
How to Show Support for Our Libraries in Jefferson County
- Visit the library! The more that locals use their library’s resources and programs, the easier it is for the public library to ask for both public and private funding.
- Volunteer for events and programs!
- Become a member of the library and you’ll have access to millions of book and article titles, dozens of local education programs and a whole lot more.
- Become a Friend of the Jefferson County Public Library!
- Vote for local representatives who support the library’s initiatives through government funding.
- Donate good quality used books to the Jefferson County Library Foundation! Proceeds from these book donations support the public library in many ways.