Temporary Event Coordinator
For the Spring Whale of a Used Book Sale that will be held May 31 through June 2, 2019 at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds:
15200 W. 6th Avenue, Golden, CO 80401
The Jefferson County Library Foundation (JCLF), located in Wheat Ridge, is the 501 (c) (3) nonprofit whose mission is: to support and enrich the capabilities, resources and services of Jefferson County Public Library through fundraising and advocacy efforts that benefit our diverse community.
Each year JCLF provides critically-needed dollars (to help fund programs and activities that are not fully supported by tax-payer dollars) for education and literacy-focused programs at all 10 Library locations and the bookmobile. Monies raised help to fund Early Childhood Literacy, STEM/STEAM programming and the annual Summer Reading challenge.
A key part of our fundraising effort involves used book sales (both physical and online sales), which generate nearly $250,000 annually.
WHALE OF A USED BOOK SALE
Each year, JCLF produces its Spring Whale of a Used Book Sale the first weekend in June — a free, three-day event where we sell 80,000+ used books, CDs, DVDs, vinyl records, and more. This event (as well as the Fall Whale of a Used Book Sale) is held at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds and raises $60k+ every year. Between 3,500 and 4,500 book lovers visit each sale, and 200+ volunteers help us in providing these events to the public.
OVERVIEW OF TASKS
The Event Coordinator will be in charge of the following tasks for the Spring Whale of a Used Book Sale — under the direction of the JCLF Executive Director, and in concert with JCLF staff, JCLF volunteers and staff from Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL):
- Event print materials (call-for-volunteer postcard mailers, fliers, bookmarks, posters, event map, event signage, sponsor recognition, etc.)
- Marketing and Promotions (including preparing press releases, coordinating print and broadcast advertising, social media, etc.)
- Facilities Management (working with Fairgrounds staff and event vendors)
- Volunteer Coordination (including on-line volunteer sign-up, recruitment, event assignments, name tags and training)
- Soliciting for in-kind donations of food/beverages for volunteer workers (during event set-up and during the sale); organizing deliveries
- Request and secure bids on residual books (for post-sale pickup); coordinate book giveaways (post-event) to other nonprofit organizations
- Maintain the volunteer database
- Organize and lead pre-event and post-event meetings with Crew Chiefs (key volunteer leaders)
- Other event-related tasks, as required
SCOPE OF WORK
- Collaborate with JCLF staff to manage, maintain, and execute all assigned tasks on existing event timeline.
- Assist in creation, editing and printing of event program brochure, bookmarks, posters, fliers, etc.
- Assist JCLF with any necessary print/online marketing needs and promotions prior to event kick off.
- Solicit in-kind food/beverage donations (for our volunteers, during set-up and the event, and Preview Night)
- Act as volunteer coordinator in solicitation and recruitment of volunteers prior to the event.
- Organize volunteer Crew Chiefs (key volunteers who will execute the actual sale)
- Record volunteer schedule requests, create volunteer name tags, send volunteer confirmations, and prepare volunteer check-in.
- During the days the book sale, ensure volunteer roles and responsibilities are well executed for seamless set up, execution, and tear down.
- Working with the Warehouse Coordinator, oversee delivery and set up of books, materials, and equipment from foundation office and warehouse to Jefferson County Fairgrounds.
- Enlist and oversee event concessionaire and event security.
- Oversee and manage event needs at venue throughout sale to ensure smooth and seamless transition from beginning to end, and ensure vendors, sponsors, attendees, volunteer and registration needs are met.
- Serve as JCLF’s event point person before, during and immediately after the sale.
Contract services will commence on March 18, 2019, and continue through the sale dates of June 2, 2019, wrapping up by Friday, June 7, 2019. (200 total hours). This position will be located at the Foundation office in Wheat Ridge; some ability to work from home.
10-25 hours per week, March 18 – May 24, 2019
Maintain regular and frequent communication, relations and collaboration with staff, volunteers, and vendors leading up to event. Call for, schedule and assign volunteers. Assist Executive Director with sponsors’ fulfillment and needs, confirm facility’s onsite requirements. Manage the pre-event timeline of activities. Set up and conduct event walk-through with JCLF staff, Fairgrounds staff, vendors, and volunteers for logistics, risk management, and any technology needs. Schedule meetings and/or communicate with volunteers, ensuring that on-board training, tools, and mobilization are complete. Schedule and lead pre-event meetings with Crew Chiefs. Work with JCLF staff to ensure that all print materials are designed, proofed, printed and that they are mailed/distributed on time. Solicit in-kind food donations for volunteer set-up and Friends-only Preview Night.
40+ hours, May 28 – June 2, 2019
Manage on site logistics and activities through all days leading up to and during/after the sale (set-up, clean-up, scheduling volunteers, working with vendors, etc.). Work with JCLF staff to prepare for and manage the Friends-only Preview Night. Ensure prompt mitigation of any concerns or issues. Oversee Crew Chiefs. Serve as point person for staff, venue, vendors, volunteers, and sponsors throughout the week of the sale. Schedule post-event wrap-up meeting.
10-20 hours, June 3 – June 7, 2019
Update and maintain the event hard copy binder and electronic records. Update electronic database; record numbers of volunteers and volunteer hours. Assist (if needed) with any outstanding invoices billed and processed for all vendors and suppliers, and thank you notes/correspondence. Lead wrap-up meeting post-event with Executive Director, JCLF staff, and Crew Chiefs, plus any additional stakeholders.
Fee structure: flat fee, negotiable
Send a cover letter and resume via email to: Jo.firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.